RE:Re: Microsoft has now joined the HTML Working Group

From: Espen Antonsen - 24SevenOffice <ea@24SevenOffice.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 21:56:32 +0000
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
We had a case like this. A client required to count the number of times an invoice had been printed. Another example can be to display some information or warning to the user before printing. I.e.: remember to call XX before printing this quote to the customer.

Unfortunately it is not possible to catch whether the document was actually printed or not. If I rememember correctly the event fires even if the user clicks cancel in the print dialog or even just displays a print preview.

Espen Antonsen - 24SevenOffice

Chris Wilson wrote:
>> 8) Do you feel that |onbeforeprint| and |onafterprint| should be
>> incorporated into the next HTML standard?
>
> If you mean the events we support in IE (or some cleanup of same/same concept), sure.

What are the use cases? I remember that when people asked for these
events, it seemed that they just didn't know CSS well enough to define a

print stylesheet.