RE: GIF was -- Mandated Video Format (was: Microsoft has now joined the HTML Working Group)

From: Dailey, David P. <david.dailey@sru.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 17:44:22 -0400
To: "Chris Wilson" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: "Doug Schepers" <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>, <public-html@w3.org>

Chris Wilson wrote:
>GIF is (to my knowledge) universally supported, even though it has IP constraints.

IANAL, also, but I think the LZW patent underlying GIF may have expired  (I think they're only good for twenty years though Uruguay-GATT TRIPPS and WIPO all seem to make us all need to hire IAAL's).

If one reads down a ways at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIF, there is a paragraph, which, if true, would support this suspicion. Given differing national treatments of patent law, it might provide an easy way for some third world country to make itself financially soluble.