Re: Microsoft has now joined the HTML Working Group

From: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 18:40:04 -0400
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Hi, Chris-

Chris Wilson wrote:

>> 2) Would Microsoft consider including <canvas> in "IE Next" if Apple
>> agrees to license any associated IP, royalty-free, under W3C patent
>> rules?
>
> I explicitly cannot comment on features that will go in to the next
 > version of IE, as a matter of policy.  I think Apple needs to agree
 > that canvas should be pursued in the HTML WG, and then we can have
 > the discussion as a WG.  I'm not against canvas as a matter of
 > policy or anything.

Surely this would be handled under the W3C Graphics Activity [1], not
the HTML Activity?  I think it's a useful technology, and I'd like to
see Apple submit it.  But it might be out of scope for the HTML WG.

There are some good opportunities for synergy with SVG as regards
raster- and pixel-based interfaces.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/Activity.html

Regards-
-Doug