Re: ensuring the existence & enhancing the power of Q

From: Dao Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:37:59 +0200
To: Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@ulsberg.no>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:
>> Actually, I'd rather introduce <blockcode>, because that's really
>> missing.
>
> Let's get <blockspan>

> <blockstrong>, <blockem>

Well, there would actually be some (rare) use cases. But semantically,
there's no difference between <blockstrong><p>...<p>...</blockstrong>

> <blockimg>, <blockinput>

IMG and INPUT don't have child nodes.

> <blockins>, <blockdel>

 From the HTML 4.01 spec regarding INS and DEL: "These two elements are
unusual for HTML in that they may serve as either block-level or inline
elements (but not both)."

> <blockvar>

Block-level child nodes make hardly sense for those.

> If <blockcode> and <blockquote> really are
> that semantically different from their inline cousins, then all of the
> other inline elements should have block-level equivalents as well, don't
> you agree?

No.