Re: Proposed Design Principles updated

From: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 08:41:53 -0400
To: public-html@w3.org

>* Good practice: Separation of content, presentation, interaction
>A specification SHOULD allow authors to separate content from both
>presentation and interaction concerns.
>(Covered by Mostly Semantic Markup, currently disputed.)

This design principle is one that I can live with, whereas "Mostly Semantic
is not one that I can live with.

I can support a design principle that calls for separation. This is the
same principle
that has been at play since the earliest days of markup -- GML, SGML, XML.
This is one of the key design principles that led to the creation of markup.

However, the phrase "Mostly Semantic Markup" is overloaded. After all, <b>
has semantics and it facilitates for the separation of content and
But I suspect that the proponents of "Mostly Semantic Markup" aren't saying
that they want more <b>-like elements in HTML.

How about we all agree to the Good practice that is codified in WEBARCH
and forget about "Mostly Semantic Markup"?