RE: Facets

Thank you for your comment.

I am planning on using this method (actually currently in the middle of
Michael Kay's XSLT2.0 book) in the way you mentioned it:

I am creating XML files for running tests on various 'boxes' which have
different configurations (#of cards, channels, so on). I was planning on
using the XSLT to create the hardware dependant schema using user hardware
selection.  It seems I am on the righttrack on that section of the task.

However, within each XML document, the user defines their own set of
definitions to be used as enum values.  Michael Kay suggested using the
'key/keyref' elements; I tried it, but XMLSpy  seems to validate it even
though I intentionally used an invalid attribute. I am new at this and could
be my code.  Please point my error in the following example I used to test
the key/keyref element?

The schema:
<xs:schema  ....>
	<xs:element name="Measurements">
		<xs:complexType>
			<xs:sequence>
				<xs:element name="AAA" type="myAAA"/>
				<xs:element name="BBB" type="myBBB"/>
			</xs:sequence>
		</xs:complexType>
		<xs:key name="myId">
			<xs:selector xpath="./AAA/a"/>
			<xs:field xpath="@a"/>
		</xs:key>
		<xs:keyref name="myIdref" refer="myId">
			<xs:selector xpath="./BBB/b"/>
			<xs:field xpath="@b"/>
		</xs:keyref>
	</xs:element>
	<xs:complexType name="myAAA">
		<xs:sequence>
			<xs:element name="a" maxOccurs="unbounded">
				<xs:complexType>
					<xs:attribute name="id"
type="xs:string" use="required"/>
				</xs:complexType>
			</xs:element>
		</xs:sequence>
	</xs:complexType>
	<xs:complexType name="myBBB">
		<xs:sequence>
			<xs:element name="b" maxOccurs="unbounded">
				<xs:complexType>
					<xs:attribute name="idref"
type="xs:string" use="required"/>
				</xs:complexType>
			</xs:element>
		</xs:sequence>
	</xs:complexType>
</xs:schema>

The XML input doucment:
<Measurements .....>
  <AAA>
    <a id="x"/>
    <a id="y"/>
  </AAA>
  <BBB>
    <b idref="x"/>
    <b idref="y"/>
    <b idref="z"/>    // should cause an error since only 'x' and 'y' are
valid choices.
  </BBB>

</Measurements>

Thank you,
Farid Mahini
L3 Communications - Telemetry East
1515 Grundy's Lane, Bristol,  PA.  19007

ATTENTION PLEASE: Do you have our new e-mail addresses?
The current L-3 standard is First.Last @ L-3com.com
E-mail addressed to First.Last @ te.L-3com.com will no longer be delivered.
Please update your address book using the "From" address on this email.