  • From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:01:33 +0100
  • Subject: Clarification needed: anySimpleType
  • To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
The question is 80% academic since anySimpleType can't be derived and
thus no facets can be applied on this type, but I am wondering how you
define a "union of value spaces" in:

[Definition:]   There exists a conceptual datatype, whose name is
anySimpleType, that is the simple version of the ur-type definition from
[XML Schema Part 1: Structures]. anySimpleType can be considered as the
·base type· of all ·primitive· types. The ·value space· of anySimpleType
can be considered to be the ·union· of the ·value space·s of all
·primitive· datatypes.

More generaly speaking I think that anySimpleType is under defined since
you don't say anything (unless I have missed it) about its properties
and canonical form which are usually associated with the value space in
the primitive types definitions.

I am wondering, for instance what an API or PSVI exposing the canonical
forms and properties could tell about a type defined as "anySimpleType".

Thanks

Eric
--
Rendez-vous a Paris pour les Electronic Business Days 2002.
                                   http://www.edifrance.org/ebd/index.htm