Re: Call the question!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Hollander" <dmh@info2000.net>
To: <xml-uri@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2000 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: Call the question!

> Personally, I would love to try to end the debate and close the issue.
> But, with prompting from an anonymous source, Tim BL opened this
> discussion. He is working with the Advisor Board to determine how
> to close it. It would be a bad use of time to have the plenary vote
> again without understanding how the results would be viewed.

Perhaps, but a poll would be very useful to those of us trying to figure out
how we will react to whatever the resolution, or non-resolution, of this
issue is by the W3C ACs, AB, and Director.  That is, I'll bet many of us
would like to know *quantitatively* where people in the XML community, not
just the W3C, stand on the issue.  The postings would seem to indicate that
it is Tim BL and Dan Connolly against the world, but there may be numerous
lurkers who agree with them, or I may be listening to my own biases ...

We could just have a public poll here, similar to the private poll within
the W3C, and anyone could tabulate the results.  Or perhaps we could ask the
owner of xml-dev-temp@egroups.com (Dave Winer?) to setup an eGroups poll so
that the list wouldn't be swamped with poll messages. In either case, it
would be "one e-mail address, one vote" and everyone's vote would be public.
This has its drawbacks, of course, but prevents ballot box stuffing and
would let anyone analyze the data to weight the results by company, etc.

Does anyone else agree?