Re: A little courtesy, please

At 09:58 AM 5/23/00 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>Web architecture is largely a collection of axioms, and axioms are
>just that... "we hold these things to be self-evident..."
>sorts of things. So I'm very interested in any questions you may
>have, but I won't be able to answer them with logical arguments
>where principle #7 of Web Architecture is the conclusion.
>But I should be able to answer ala "if you don't follow principle
>#7, you'll be inconsistent with deployed code that does XYZ..."
>or "we've seen people try to go around principle #4, and
>the result was a mess...". But sometimes the answers are
>likely to be less satisfactory ala "we didn't predict
>web crawlers and global search engines, but principles
>#2, #3, and #4 were keys to allowing that to happen, and
>we want to keep the future open to that sort of
>surprise."

Sorry Dan, but vague claims of a priori axioms that have never been spelled
out in any substantial public document that include technical detail are
not an acceptable club with which to smack ideas of which you disapprove,
at least in my opinion.

The Web has proven unpredictable, inconsistent, and full of 404 Not Found.
I'd rather work with mess that with mysterious axioms.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com