Re: When are two URIs equivalent?

Josef Dietl wrote:

> There are several possible approaches, but it looks to me that
> specifying this equivalence relation is a way out of here without
> offending anyone. (no?)

Char-by-char equivalence is too weak for URIs.

RFC 2396 resolution tells us how to convert relative URIs to absolute,
which can then be compared char-by-char.

Server-level equivalence (accessing the resource entity and seeing if you
get the same bytes) is inherently hopeless, as the entity contents may
literally change from second to second.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>