RE: Who Faulted (was RE: Proposed rewrite of Part 1, section 2 (l ong) )

 Stuart,
 just a clarification:
 An important rule about the fault detail is that it MUST be
empty if the fault was in processing a header - it is a header
again that MAY carry the details about the fault (section 4.4.4
in the editors' copy).
 I don't think we would want two differing mechanisms for
identifying the failing node for intermediaries and for the
ultimate destination, therefore I suggested the extension using
headers.
 The extension could be something like the following:

 Non-fault messages contain a header
      <ns:faultNodeIDRequest xmlns:ns="..."
          env:role=".../next" env:mustUnderstand="true"? />
 The contract of this header would be such that the receiving
node, upon faulting (other than mustUnderstand, I think, but I'm
not sure about this point because of the ordering of
"understanding" a header and fulfilling its contract), would put
in the fault message a header
      <ns:faultNodeID xmlns:ns="...">uri</ns:faultNodeID>

 We seem to agree, I think. 8-)

                   http://www.systinet.com/