Re: Infoset based rewrite of SOAP Section 4

At 11:06 02/07/2001 -0400, Rich Salz wrote:
>I disagree that the infoset is the best approach.  I
>believe it's a bad idea.  In particular, the idea of "describe the
>abstract data" and then "describe particular syntax in detail" scares
>me.  It makes me think of the old 7layer model.  Or describing a stream
>protocol in ASN.1 and then saying "the transfer syntax is DER, and we'll
>call that binding TCP."
>
>It is possible to do things that way, but it makes it needlessly
>difficult for <emphasize-my-viewpoint>implementors</emph>
>         /r$

<Delurk>
Unfortunately, given the data-model-free nature of XML 1.0 and the
hairy complexity of fully-blown post-parse XML 1.0, abstract
infoset approaches are probably unavoidable - unless one goes
for commonXML, microXML or so other syntactic restriction of
XML 1.0.

The resultant complexity is unfortunate at best <Sigh/>.
</Delurk>

Sean McGrath