RE: Action Item 2004-07-01 Solution to 168/R114

Actually, I was thinking that maybe operation A defines a message, W,
you have to send before sending X. My point being that there are various
things that are outside the scope of WSDL.

> I'm +1 to leaving dispatching out of band on the basis that
> its the server's business to know how to dispatch and the WSDL
> is what the server has decided to tell *the client*.

+1

> There's no
> need for the server to tell the client how *it* does its internal
> work.

This is my exact point. I'm sorry the example was so absurd, I'm just
trying to point out exactly what you say above.

> The only case I've seen to justify including that is for "industry
> standard" WSDLs which are intended to be implemented by different
> service providers. That is, the WSDL there does not describe
> a single service offered by someone, but the structure of services
> to be offered  by others. In that case however I imagine the 95%
> scenario will be unique GEDs or some other form that is patently
> obvious to the service implementor.

Absolutely. I expect people to write WSDL this way in many situations. I
just don't want to force people to write WSDL this way.

> My proposal supports both these to work happily. I'm not mandating
> that the SOAPAction based solution be used, but it does provide a
> mechanism to make "dispatching" clear when necessary.

But the SOAPAction proposal results in a unique action value based on
the operation name apprearing on the wire, yes?

> At the same
> time, we are not precluding other mechanisms (like the one Gudge
> mentioned) from doing what they want.

I'm happy with anything that is OPTIONAL, I'm just not happy mandating
that the service expose internal implementation details...

Sounds like you and I are more or less on the same page.

Gudge