Re: Crossreferencing the spec list with Apache's

On Feb 1, 2004, at 1:31 PM, Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler) wrote:

> Having said that, I think I might support putting a link to this list
> in
> the Appendix, with some text like, "Another list of Web services
> specifications may be found at ...".  I say, however, "think".  It
> makes
> me nervous that this seems to be getting perilously close to "adding or
> modifying content", which I think is a serious no-no at this point.
> Are
> we endorsing this list?

Not any more than we're endorsing yours.  As I recall, there is quite a
disclaimer about your list in Appendix A.  I'm just suggesting that we
make that plural and point to the Apache one as well, because it *is* a
living document.  Without any endorsement, of course.

> Actually, now that I have thought more about it, I regret to say that I
> think putting in such a link is on the wrong side of the line, and that
> drawing and maintaining that line is really important.

IMHO there's no line,  there's no working group.  And no chair, and I
have no more say in this than anyone on this list :-)   I would suggest
that David and Hugo, using their de facto authority as publishers of
the document, put a link to the Apache list as a service to our readers
because we definitely would have done so last Wednesday had we been
aware of the Apache list.  They can put as many disclaimers as they
want.

I guess an alternative would be for those of us who wish to have some
continuing role in organizing our collective thoughts about the
architectural implications of WS and SOA setup a FAQ list or a Wiki or
something.

1. Q: "I'm confused about all the %*&^%* "web services" specs.  Is
there a complete list somewhere?"
     A: The best you'll find is
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?WebServicesSpecifications
(But it changes frequently, you might want to subscribe to
http://www.dehora.net/rss/wsasf-rss10.xml). Use this and all other such
lists with extreme caution; they contain a mixture of real de facto
standards, protostandards that are being actively developed,
interesting  proposals that are getting serious consideration, and pure
marketing fluff.