WSDL, app protocols, URI schemes

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 02:20:45PM -0700, David Orchard wrote:
> This is comparing apples to oranges.  The relationship isn't between URI
> schems and wsdl files.  On the web, we don't need wsdl files because humans
> know how to fill out forms.

Hmm, no, that's comparing apples to oranges.  I know we disagree about
the capabilities of a uniform interface, but I'm surprised we disagree
about this.

With both Web services (well, our definition at least) and the Web,
there are "objects" identified by URIs, and those objects all expose a
set of methods which can be invoked over a network.  Right?  The
methods of a Web service are the port types defined in a WSDL document.
The methods of a Web resource are defined in the application protocol
specification(s) associated with the URI scheme (if it's resolvable).

So, the URI scheme is analogous to a name for a WSDL document, and a
WSDL document is analogous to a specification of an application
protocol ... hence my comments here;

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Aug/0306