RE: WSDL, app protocols, URI schemes

+1

How eloquently stated!

I think we all understand the rest-ers are unhappy....
We're not sure what to do about it or exactly what would have to change to
make
you happier (I don't promise complete happiness).

As I said at the face to face - criticism doesn't help, criticism and at
least one
suggestion on how to fix it does.

I think I've grokked one or two things... (correct me if I'm wrong)
-A way to indicate that a message in wsdl is cacheable
-A way to specify a service instance reference in wsdl
-A binding for service reference to HTTP GET
      - this would make it cacheable perhaps?
      - this would make it hyperlink-able  perhaps?

I'm sure I'm much too simple minded to get this right as netting out to 2
or 3 things that are already
recognized as work to be done....

Is it as simple as working with the Description group to
add a tag 'cacheable' to messages (which would be mapped into correct
headers in bindings)?

Should we work with the Description group and ask for a service reference?
This is a topic that
they've talked about before. It is a requirement from the Grid folks. Have
you looks at how OGSA
is doing this? Is a solution like this sufficient for your RESTfull needs?
Maybe we can raise its
priority with them...

If we did these things, does it make it then so that Web services does not
preclude RESTfull
designs and implementations?  (if no, what else is required?)

I'm not sure that we can get to a place where all things Web services are
also always RESTfull...
but maybe we can get to a place where all things Web services could be
RESTfull. But even
that will only occur with constructive assistance.

I know you think it was all possible before Web services, but apparently A
LOT of companies
have decided that Web services makes it A LOT EASIER than before. Web
services is NOT
going away. You can help adjust it to suit both our needs, or you can
complain continuously
that its broken, and then live with (or ignore) whatever broken thing we
come up with. I am not
claiming that you are not engaged... I'm just saying that so far the
interactions have been
critical and complaining, and not very constructive. Apparently we are but
simple children in
'the one true way' and need to be spoon fed answers.

I'm sure I'm way out on a limb here.

Heather Kreger
Web Services Lead Architect
STSM, SWG Emerging Technology
kreger@us.ibm.com
919-543-3211 (t/l 441)  cell:919-496-9572

"Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>@w3.org on 09/28/2002
10:19:49 AM

Sent by:    www-ws-arch-request@w3.org