Re: Consequences of SOAP GET to Web Services?

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 01:32:48AM -0800, JEFF.MISCHKINSKY wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>    Before I can respond I need to ask you to clarify and describe what it is you think the "assumed architecture" is,

From what I've seen deployed with SOAP 1.1, and discussed in the WSAWG, it
appears to be a lot like the OMG's OMA.

> what "the web architecture is",

If I could answer that in a single email, I would have done so long
ago. 8-)

My short-and-sweet answer is that Web architecture is much closer to
tuple spaces than it is to OMA.

>and specifically where you think they are incompatible.

I believe that they're incompatible because Web architecture defines
more architectural constraints than does the OMA.  So they're
incompatible in that systems developed to the constraints of OMA
aren't necessarily following the additional constraints of the Web.

The constraints I'm talking about are;

1. components communicate via messages to things with identity
2. components communicate via messages with semantics generic to all
resources

Web architecture has both constraints, whereas OMA just uses #1.