Re: Routing and choreography

Mike,

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 07:13:06AM -0600, Champion, Mike wrote:
> OK, that's a RESTful mechanism for implementing the kinds of things that
> WSCI and BPEL4WS talk about, as best I understand them.  But the point of
> "web services choreography" broadly defined is to define a non-procedural
> language for describing these links and message flows, not to prescribe a
> mechanism for implementing them.   Ideally a standard choreography language
> would describe the flows and let one modify them without ripping up a bunch
> of software; someone like you could implement them RESTfully, VS.NET users
> could implement them RPC-ishly

I agree about BPEL4WS, but not about WSCI.  WSCI is all about replacing
hypertext as the engine of application state.  BPEL4WS is partly about
that through its use of WSDL and assumption of specific interfaces, but
a good chunk of it is quite appropriate for use in routing, as a
complement to hypertext, not a replacement.

> [RP-sheep-ishly ? maybe you can use that as a
> comeback when we call you RESTifarians <grin>],

Hey, I coined the term RESTafarian to refer to myself! 8-)

> and may the best approach
> win.

Indeed.