Re: Choreography and the Semantic Web

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 09:45:38AM -0400, Christopher B Ferris wrote:

> Mark,
>
> And there is much that SOAP/WSDL do that RDF doesn't.

Yes, but very little of it is necessary when you don't have a priori
knowledge of the type of service you're interacting with, as the Web
presumes.

SOAP/WSDL, in common use, presupposes that when the code is written,
it knows the difference between a thermometer and a television.  REST
does not.

> There is NOTHING that prevents one from using RDF in the context of Web
> services technologies (e.g. carrying RDF graphs in the SOAP header or
> body,
> extending WSDL with RDF, or even representing a WSDL description using
> RDF), or not as one sees fit.

There's nothing that *prevents* RDF from being used with SOAP/WSDL, but
as I said, the earlier form of binding with SOAP/WSDL makes RDF
unnecessary (note, this is a *bad* thing 8-).