Re: Web service definition

On Monday, August 12, 2002, at 09:05  AM, Christopher B Ferris wrote:

> Hmmm... I hadn't thought that my proposal only addressed how discovery
> takes place. In fact, I had thought that there shouldn't be much
> specificity
> in addressing how discovery takes place.
>
> Allow me to try again with a slight edit to my previous proposal:
>
>        Definition: A Web service is a software application
> identified by a
>        URI, whose interfaces and bindings are defined and described
>        using XML artifacts. This definition can be discovered by
> other software
>       applications. These applications may then interact with the
> Web
>          service, through the exchange of XML based messages via
> internet
>          protocols, in a manner prescribed by its definition.
>
> Again, I don't think that we necessarily want to narrow the
> possibilities
> of how the description/definition is discovered.

Next thing you'll be proposing standard LDAP schemas for WSDL! Anyway,
this looks OK. A couple more tweaks:
(1) Lose the "via".
(2) Drop "exchange", since it would seem to disallow one-way interaction
     patterns.
(3) Change "This definition" to "Its definition" for grammatical
precision.
     ("Its" refers back to the service; "This" has no clear referent.)

Definition:
A Web service is a software application identified by a
URI, whose interfaces and bindings are defined and described
using XML artifacts. Its definition can be discovered by other software
applications. These applications may then interact with the Web
service in
a manner prescribed by its definition, using XML messages conveyed by
internet protocols.