Re: Reliable Messaging: Division of Responsibilities (was RE: RES T, Conversations and Reliability)

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 02:38:00PM -0700, Dave Hollander wrote:
> Assumptions:
> 1) basic layered architecture: transport, application
> 	(Pick what ever words work for you, these are the labels I
> 	am most comfortable with.)

Ok, but we need to be clear what each term means, and what technologies
fall into each layer.  My view is probably different than yours; I say
TCP, and any other sub-layer-7 entity, falls under "transport", whereas
anything at layer 7 is part of the application layer (such as HTTP).

Members of the XMLP WG will recall the many discussions we had on this
point. 8-)

> 2) intermediaries may be part of a layer or may represent their a
> 	new one---I am not debating that at this time.
>
> 3) an interesting and significant part of an architecture is to
> 	+ describe the roles and responsibilities for the layers
> 	+ describe how they interact
>
> Proposed work items:
>
> 1) create strawman for layers (or equivalent)
> 2) place intermediaries in one (or more) locations in the arch
> 3) describe reliability as it relates the layers
> 4) identify roles and responsibilities relative to the layers.
> etc.

Ok, looks good.  Any takers? 8-)