Re: abstract syntax and RDFS

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Subject: Re: abstract syntax and RDFS
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:42:37 +0100

> On Monday 20 Jan 2003 10:26 pm, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> > In conducting my still unfinished review of the mapping rules I noticed
> > that no RDFS schema is an OWL DL document.
> >

> I also missed the following rule from section 4.2
>
> [[
> the abstract syntax form does not mention any of the URI references from the
> RDF, RDFS, or OWL namespaces that are given special meaning in RDF, RDFS, or
> OWL except owl:Thing and owl:Nothing.
> ]]
>
> The datatype rdf:XMLLiteral must not be blocked in this way.

I disagree.  I'm very happy that rdf:XMLLiteral is not in OWL Lite or OWL
DL.

> I think the following RDF and RDFS properties and classes are cool in
> annotations and Annotations:
>    rdfs:comment
>    rdfs:label
>    rdfs:seeAlso
>    rdfs:isDefinedBy

I explicitly allowed rdfs:comment and rdfs:label, although I am somewhat
unhappy with allowing rdfs:comment.  I think that rdfs:seeAlso and
rdfs:isDefinedBy have no place in OWL Lite or OWL DL.

> I believe that the annotations and Annotations would benefit from:
> (a) having names that did not differ solely in case

Maybe.

> (b) used a new concept annotationPropertyID for there first URI
> (and further points in another message to come).

I don't see any particular purpose in this.