Re: Explicit Constraint on SubPropertyOf in Presentation Syntax

Hello,

In his message (Explicit Constraint on SubPropertyOf in Presentation
Sy) of 05/01/2003,
Masahiro Hori wrote:
>In the current XML presentation syntax Schema [1],
>'SubPropertyOf' does not impose any constraints
>on the varieties of propertyIDs. This will be
>a problem for creating an XSLT stylesheet that
>transforms presentation syntax to RDF/XML
>syntax, which is an action item raised during
>Dec. 19th telecon [2].
>
>[1]
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Dec/att-0295/01-OWL-XML-Schemas.html
>[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Dec/0272.html
>
># For the following proposal, I want to have
># comments especially from Jerome (who is working
># for the XSLT stylesheet) as well as Peter.

This is indeed the only problem with the syntax for generating the RDF/XML.
The solution you propose is OK.
There are two others, equaly useful solutions for me:
- add an attribute stating if it is object or data
- having two elements: SubDataPropertyOf and SubObjectPropertyOf

>In the examples below, 'owls' is used as a
>namespace prefix for the presentation syntax,
>while 'owl' for RDF/XML syntax.  Currently,
>owls:SubPropertyOf is used in the following
>manner using the XML presentation syntax.
>
>   <owls:SubPropertyOf owls:super="p2" owls:sub="p3" />
>
>In this expression, variety of property IDs
>('p2' and 'p3') cannot be made explicit, namely,
>either as DatatypeProperty or ObjectProperty.
>However, in the RDF/XML syntax, subPropertyOf
>must be specified with a property type:
>
>   <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="p2">
>     <rdfs:subPropertyOf rdf:resource="#p3" />
>   </owl:ObjectProperty>
>

>In order to alleviate this limitation, I would
>like to propose the following changes in the XML
>presentation syntax.
>
>   <owls:SubPropertyOf>
>     <owls:DatatypeProperty owls:super="p2" owls:sub="p3" />
>   </owls:SubPropertyOf>
>
>   <owls:SubPropertyOf>
>     <owls:IndividualProperty owls:super="p2" owls:sub="p3" />
>   </owls:SubPropertyOf>

I would rather propose:

<owls:SubPropertyOf owls:sub="p3">
   <owls:DatatypeProperty owls:name="p2" />
</owls:SubPropertyOf>

This would also be in harmony with your further proposal (same
attribute owls:name instead of sub and super).

>I'm afraid the above markups may not necessary
>be the best, but the changes are minimum and allow
>to reflect the Abstract Syntax of SubPropertyOf.
>
>   <axiom> ::= SubPropertyOf( <datavaluedPropertyID>  <datavaluedPropertyID>
>)
>   <axiom> ::= SubPropertyOf( <individualvaluedPropertyID>
><individualvaluedPropertyID> )
>

>In addition, the same approach can be applied
>to make the distinction of property IDs explicit
>for EquivalentProperties in the presentation
>syntax.

These do not cause problem for the transformation.

--
  Jérôme Euzenat                  __
                                  /      /\