Re: WOWG: first language proposal (shared copyright)

On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 04:56, Frank van Harmelen wrote:
> Dan Brickley wrote:
>

> > Should we consider these three documents an offering from
> > Lucent/Harmelen/Horrocks to the working group, or a summary and synthesis
> > of the group's collective design work?
>
> Given that the WG (or even the language focus group) is now seeing this
> proposal for the first time, they can hardly be an output of the WG (or, in
> your terms: "a summary and synthesis of the group's collective design work").
>
> I see them merely as "an offering from Lucent/Harmelen/Horrocks to the working
> group" (which we were requested to do in the March 7 teleconf).

Yes, action items and the like seem to fall under...

[[
Except as provided above, patentable inventions and copyrighted
materials developed jointly by MIT, INRIA and KEIOand Member pursuing
Consortium activities, shall be jointly owned. Each joint owner shall be
entitled to exercise all rights of ownership as provided by law without,
however, an obligation of accounting from one to the other. Member
understands that MIT, INRIA and KEIO will make all such jointly owned
inventions and copyrights available to the general public for
unrestricted use.
]]
 -- INTERNATIONAL WORLD WIDE WEB CONSORTIUM PARTICIPATION AGREEMENT
  http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Agreement/Full.html

So you can't both develop it in the WG and claim "all rights reserved".

This applies to

  Layering the Semantic Web: Problems and Directions

http://www-db.research.bell-labs.com/user/pfps/webont/layering/layering.html

as well.