Re: semantics: layering...? [was: Next steps (Action: all)]

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Subject: semantics: layering...? [was: Next steps (Action: all)]
Date: 28 Feb 2002 13:42:38 -0600

> On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 12:41, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> > >   3. Semantics: As evidenced by the layering discussion, developing
> > > the semantic model for the language (mandated by our charter) is not
> > > easy, but needs to be done.  We expect to produce both a model theory
> > > and an axiomization similar to the ones prepared for DAML+OIL.
> >
> > Well there has been work done on the layering issues, but it seems to have
> > been put off and put off again from the agenda.  Therefore, I would like to
> > have an agenda item for next week on the layering issue.
>

> I've been studying the layering stuff, but I'm not sure
> how to prepare for a telcon discussion of layering.
>
> If you have anything in particular in mind, please let me/us know.

Well there are a number of things that you could think of, including
1/ How you want the syntax of OWL to look in general
   (RDF graphs, RDF/XML, XML, other).
2/ How you want OWL to relate to RDF(S)
   (extension, close compatability, loose compatability).
3/ How powerful you want OWL to be
   (defined classes or restrictions, transitive roles, ...).
I believe that not all the choices above are possible and that some of the
possible choices have bad consequences.