Re: How to close issue 5.17 - XML presentation syntax

At 11:23 AM -0600 12/17/02, Dan Connolly wrote:
>On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 10:14, Jim Hendler wrote:
>>  I believe it is the consensus of the Working Group that we publish an
>>  XML Presentation syntax (and a UML presentation syntax) as
>>  non-normative appendices to the OWL reference document (and to be
>>  referenced by the other documents as needed).
>
>Umm... this sorta looks like it doesn't matter what
>the contents of the appendix are.
>
>I don't agree to that; I'm not prepared to write a blank check.
>
>w.r.t. the presentation that has been proposed, it's
>unacceptable to me as is:
>
>"I don't see any specification of how to map this presentation
>syntax to the exchange syntax. I think it's critically
>incomplete without that."
>
>  -- Re: Issue 5.17 XML presentation syntax for OWL
>  From: Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
>  Date: Wed, Dec 11 2002
>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Dec/0133.html

Dan - apologies, I should have been more clear.  The issue raised [1] reads:

>At the 2nd FTF the group decided to produce a non-normative
>presentation syntax. One such syntax could be XML, although the
>group did not mandate that it be XML. However, even so, producing a
>non-normative XML presentation syntax would be useful.

this issue remained unclosed under the question of whether such a
presentation syntax would be in an appendix or a note.  The decision
to have UML and XML syntaxes were agreed (at least in spirit) by the
WG a long time back, but we haven't actually resolved this because of
the pub issue.  I'm moving to close the issue by deciding to ATTEMPT
to create non-normative appendices (i.e. that IF we produce the
documents, they will be appendices) which is all the issue calls for.

  Whatever we decide, the appendices have to be approved through the
WG process as parts of the document they would be released in.

  Hope that clarifies things -- basically, closing this issue should
just be a bookkeeping move - the documents are both mostly written
and being reviewed as part of our document set, so if the editors
meet consensus needs, the appendices will be included.  If not, they
won't be (as with any other document)
  -JH

[1]
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/webont-issues.html#I5.17-XML-presentation-syntax