Re: URI vs URL

On 30 Apr 2004, at 16:14, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> I am sure that these responses are very amusing, to the cognoscenti
> at least, but is no-one prepared to offer a simple factual
> explanation as to why the universally-understood and used URL
> was apparently ditched in favour of its bastard offspring URI ?

1. All URLs are also URIs
2. The validator accepts a subset of URLs for that part of its input
3. Any subset of URLs is also a subset of URIs (as a consequence of 1)
4. Some w3c output discusses URIs which are not URLs

and from what I gather:

5. For consistency, the term URI is used globally for all w3c output

--
David Dorward
      <http://dorward.me.uk/>