Re: Validation bug

>* Kim Brooks Wei wrote:
>>This page validated when I uploaded it to the w3.org server, but when
>>I entered the URI for validation of the same page, I got this error
>>message: "Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its
>>returned content-type was text/plain, which is not currently
>>supported by this service."
>
>The Validator does not support validation for text/plain documents.
>If your document is written in a language the validator does support,
>you need to give it the correct media type. Without further information
>we are unable to help you; maybe you should talk to your service
>provider or system administrator how to setup a correct media type.

I joined the list. Bjoern, thanks for your comments.

What happened was, that I could not find a way to force the validator
to read my documents as html 4.01 transitional. That is, unless I
appended a .html or .htm extension to the name of the page when it
was a descendant page in the same directory as my index.

For practical reasons, I don't want to have long URLs.

I suppose that there's some obscure technical reason that even though
I seemed to have the correct coding, my page wouldn't parse as html
(anyone who cares to respond to this, please don't get fooled by my
miniscule tech vocabulary into thinking I'll a lot of techno speak in
your comments. I won't.)

My hosting tech's solution was to put my page into a subdirectory
called 'events' and name the file 'index.html', therefor taking care
of the html problem. This worked fine. Now I have multiple index
pages, though, which I don't always remember to distinguish between.

I spent about 7 hours trying to figure this one out during which I
learned many details about the meaning of things that are in html
page headers that I always hoped to learn, just not when I was
laboring under a very tight deadline to get my site up.

I needed to have the validator recognize my page so I could go on to
check my style sheet too.

I'm having another set of problems, not related to validation. In IE,
I can't get my table to render starting at the top of the page, and I
can't get the main body section to render the left nav table I set
up. If anyone wants to help me with these issues, please feel free to
email me off list.

Here's what my page opens with
Page is: http://www.kimbwei.com/events

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<head>
<title>Kim B. Wei Group Events</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../styles/kbw1.css" media="all">
<!-- This site and all contents © Copyright 2002 Kim B. Wei, US  -->

</head>
--
Kim Brooks Wei
P O Box 626