Re: Draft [URL] reference update to informative text

On 10/09/2014 03:44 PM, Domenic Denicola wrote:
> From: Tim Berners-Lee [mailto:timbl@w3.org]
>
>> Since when?
>>
>> Is there anything like a public implementation report which tracks that?
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/URL#Browser_compatibility
>
> (Chrome 32, Firefox 26)

That page describes URLUtils.pathname as "a DOMString containing an
initial '/' followed by the path of the URL."

Here are test cases where Firefox 32 and Chrome 37 produce different
results, neither of which start with an initial '/':

http://intertwingly.net/stories/2014/10/05/urltest-results/8e738a5350
http://intertwingly.net/stories/2014/10/05/urltest-results/010d3b8e54
http://intertwingly.net/stories/2014/10/05/urltest-results/f95c57aa35

There are also plenty of examples where the URL is badly formed and an
empty string is returned by both.  A few examples:

http://intertwingly.net/stories/2014/10/05/urltest-results/8e4dba714b
http://intertwingly.net/stories/2014/10/05/urltest-results/a7e821cc81
http://intertwingly.net/stories/2014/10/05/urltest-results/aa0a198c57
http://intertwingly.net/stories/2014/10/05/urltest-results/723aa80622

>> What about other browsers?  Do they have plans?
>
> Yes, IE has it marked as "Under Consideration."

The developer.mozilla.org page indicates that Chrome, Firefox, and IE
has "basic support", without defining what that means.  I will note that
out of the 256 tests defined for URL spec, there isn't a single one
where those three browsers return the same value for pathname.

Before anybody attempts to infer what point I am trying to make, I'll
make it clear:

* Readers of this page will be done a disservice in that the information
isn't technically accurate nor does it adequately capture the state of
interop.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  I didn't pick this as an example.

P.P.S.  For those who want to play with this data, I've placed the
current results in JSON for at:

http://intertwingly.net/stories/2014/10/09/urltest-results.json