Re: Draft [URL] reference update to informative text

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On 10/09/2014 03:44 PM, Domenic Denicola wrote:
>
>> From: Tim Berners-Lee [mailto:timbl@w3.org]
>>
>>  Since when?
>>>
>>> Is there anything like a public implementation report which tracks that?
>>>

>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/URL#
>> Browser_compatibility
>>
>> (Chrome 32, Firefox 26)
>>

> That page describes URLUtils.pathname as "a DOMString containing an
> initial '/' followed by the path of the URL."

The high order bit on the web is "is this feature implemented interoperably
in multiple browsers (and specifically, the browsers I care about
supporting)". Unlike standards like USB, which are designed and implemented
atomically, the web platform is implemented a bit at a time, by a browser
at a time.

For users of the platform, "I tested it and it runs unprefixed on the
browsers I care about" is a *far* better measure of stability than "it is
marked as HTML5" or "it has reached CR".

In theory, features should advance along the standards process at the same
time as they reach interoperable stability. In practice, changes in the
platform are extremely granular, and the process of advancing features
along the process involves many details that do not map onto practical
stability.

I am strongly in favor of better stability signaling in the WHATWG process,
but at least it gets the basics of stability on the web right.