Re: Draft [URL] reference update to informative text

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Domenic Denicola <
domenic@domenicdenicola.com> wrote:

> From: Tim Berners-Lee [mailto:timbl@w3.org]
>
> > Since when?
> >
> > Is there anything like a public implementation report which tracks that?
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/URL#Browser_compatibility
>
> (Chrome 32, Firefox 26)

I'm getting the impression that people are not entirely up to speed on how
web developers and implementors track browser evolution and associated
specifications. In light of that, it's not at all surprising that there is
a sense that things are "out of control", "arbitrary", or authoritarian.

The truth is that features shipping interoperably in multiple browsers is a
*much* stronger signal than anything else we could do, and that state is
very effectively tracked at a reasonably granular level. Stability
signaling at the spec level is pretty much a failure for practical
purposes: neither implementors nor users wait for that level of signaling.

In addition to the efforts Domenic is talking about, the new TC39 process
is an effort to marry the fluid nature of platform evolution with
per-feature stability signaling. You can get more details on TC39's GitHub
page <https://github.com/tc39/ecma262>.