Re: [Json] Encoding detection (Was: Re: JSON: remove gap between Ecma-404 and IETF draft)

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 09:18:48AM -0800, Jacob Davies wrote:
> The Finns can be verified to exist (or at least are a very convincing
> hoax), but I think there is a real question whether anyone actually
> uses anything other than UTF-8 with JSON. If nobody does, then support
> for UTF-16 and UTF-32 autodetection is pointless and at least
> potentially dangerous or buggy in the way that such features tend to
> be.

There are human cultures with which we don't have enough contact to
learn their languages.  This is silly.

We must not forbid the use of any other encodings than UTF-8.  We must
encourage the use of UTF-8 for interop by, for example, stating that
only UTF-8 is known to interop well.

We must not require encoding detection functionality in parsers.  We
must not forbid it either.  We might need to say that encodings other
than UTF-8/16/32 may not be reliably detected, therefore they are highly
discouraged, even forbidden except where protocols specifically call for
them.

But really, we can't forbid the use of UTF-16/32, we can only require
parser support for UTF-8.

Nico