Re: [Json] Encoding detection (Was: Re: JSON: remove gap between Ecma-404 and IETF draft)

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 08:39:49 -0800
To: Pete Cordell <petejson@codalogic.com>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi>, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>, es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>, JSON WG <json@ietf.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, "Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)" <jhildebr@cisco.com>, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
I’ve been using JSON for quite a few years, but hardly ever in either a
to-browser or from-browser role; what I care about is mostly its use in
RESTful APIs generally and identity APIs specifically.  In those scenarios,
it would be seen as wildly inappropriate to use anything but UTF-8; I’ve
never actually seen anything else.  In practice, it would be very unlikely
for anyone to deploy UTF-16 or any other non-UTF-8 flavor in a non-browser
scenario.

Having said that, I’m still, hundreds of messages later, not 100% sure what
our draft should say about BOMs :(