Re: [Json] Encoding detection (Was: Re: JSON: remove gap between Ecma-404 and IETF draft)

From: Pete Cordell <petejson@codalogic.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 11:33:14 -0000
To: "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi>, "John Cowan" <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Cc: "Joe Hildebrand \(jhildebr\)" <jhildebr@cisco.com>, <www-tag@w3.org>, "Paul Hoffman" <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, "JSON WG" <json@ietf.org>, "es-discuss" <es-discuss@mozilla.org>
----- Original Message From: "Henri Sivonen"
>On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
>wrote:
>> XHR's responseType = "json" only supports UTF-8 (optionally with a
>> leading BOM), across the board.
>
> Good point. I wrote the code that enforces that constraint, but I forgot.
>
> Well, there's an interoperability reason against UTF-16, too, then.

Personally I think we have to be careful not to fall into the trap of
assuming that the only use-case for JSON will be in "to browser"
communications.  I'm hoping that for the IETFs purposes we'll be looking at
JSONs wider utility into broader areas, which may even include logging to
files and interprocess communication where there might be sensible reasons
to choose something other than UTF-8.

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
C++ tools for C++ programmers, http://codalogic.com