Re: [Json] JSON: remove gap between Ecma-404 and IETF draft

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 17:47:38 -0500
To: "Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)" <jhildebr@cisco.com>
Cc: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, JSON WG <json@ietf.org>
Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) scripsit:

> I see Anne's input on the top-level grammar as interesting and useful.
> I believe that we could choose to be reasonable here by changing
> the ABNF:
>
> JSON-text = value
>
> and then adding text about interoperability in the same way that we
> have approached numbers, strings, and duplicate keys.

+1 for choosing to be reasonable.

> If 404 doesn't allow [a BOM], I don't see a strong need to add it.
> Parsers can always be more forgiving of what they will parse than what
> the spec says, particularly since section 9 says "A JSON parser MAY
> accept non-JSON forms or extensions".

It's not clear that 404 disallows it, since 404 is defined in terms of
characters, and a BOM is not a character but an out-of-band signal.

--
John Cowan    cowan@ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
This great college [Trinity], of this ancient university [Cambridge],