Re: Scope of W3C recommendations; core issue for polyglot & DRM

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com> wrote:
> I think getting agreement on scope is necessary and possibly sufficient to
> resolve the polyglot and DRM issues. Is it OK for W3C to publish a
> FPWD/Recommendation track document which has limited scope of applicability,
> as long as there are at least _some_ proponents in the W3C community?

I think whenever we do that (e.g. SVG, SMIL, TTML) we find that the
technology we ended up with for a closed ecosystem either needs
changing or is not appropriate at all for wide deployment on the web.
I would therefore be hesitant to advocate such an approach.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/