Re: Call for Two Year Feature Freeze -- to httpRange-14 resolution

On 29 March 2012 23:41, Jonathan A Rees <rees@mumble.net> wrote:

> A little more operational detail please. Are you saying leave the 2005
> resolution, which has caused so much strife, untouched? Or have the
> TAG publish a document codifying it? (I can understand if you don't
> like mine, maybe another one.) Start down Rec track with it? Do you
> disagree with my suggestion to strengthen the resolution to replace
> "information resource" with "content" or "instance", to try to end at
> least some of the suffering and deal with the Flickr case? Why is this
> change proposal different from, and superior to, the other
> always-content proposals already submitted, see
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/TagIssue57Responses ? What will be different in
> two years? Can you provide URIs relevant to the read/write idea and
> explain how it relates?

Thank you for your question.  I have the utmost respect for the suggestions
and concerns that have been put forward.

It's simply a suggestion, in balance with some of the others to stick with
the formula, that has got us so far, for a little longer.

I cant be certain what the future will bring, but if you ask me to make a
guess, based on 'back of an envelope' calculations, in two years I would
expect:

1. The Web of documents to reach another 500 million people.  50 million
new web sites.  Broad innovation to continue in the wider the ecosystem.

2. Linked data to be deployed more widely, with better experiences,
documentation and tutorials.  Emergence of new technologies such as JSON LD

3. Read / Write web of apps to begin to produce useful socially aware
applications [1].  A nice looking social network, perhaps based on the
diaspora front end.  We have a few in the works, and I expect to see these
as usable this year.  Interoperability between different social platforms,
including facebook, and read only FOAF.  Basic applications as developers
come up with creative ideas, or bootstrap existing apps.

Regarding the read write web, I would invite anyone interested to come join
the conversation at:

http://www.w3.org/community/rww/

Or perhaps follow our recently formed Google Plus presence

https://plus.google.com/111698071335880876088/posts

Hope that helps! :)

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/CloudStorage.html