Re: httpRange-14 Change Proposal [editorial tweaks]

On 29 March 2012 15:44, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> On 3/29/12 9:05 AM, Danny Ayers wrote:

> What about inferring, with clarity, that a resource and its representation
> are *potentially* ambiguous without additional clarity provide by relations
> of the kind delivered by :describedby.
>
> We are dealing resource representation resolution and fidelity. If you come
> at the resource from a certain world view (e.g., information space) you have
> a resource with fine-grained representation.  For instance, and HTML
> resource is structured enough for browsers to render Web Pages.

Yep, that's how I read it too.

As far as a browser is concerned there isn't really a distinction
between "representation"/"authoritative representation" as I put it,
"nominal representation"/"representation" as Jeni has put it or
"HTML"/"HTML+metadata" as would be on the wire in this case.

> Come at it from a different world view (e.g., data space) and you have a
> blob since the content doesn't conform to the required structural fidelity
> of an entity-attribute-value graph, and even worse, actual pathways to said
> graph become skewed (re. follow-your-nose navigation via name->address
> indirection ) if hyperlink (e.g., HTTP URI) based name and address choices
> introduce ambiguity.

There can still be ambiguity whatever we do, but the describedby (or
303-implied) metadata makes it possible to reduce it, no?

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://dannyayers.com