Re: Evercookie: Indestructible cookies

Le 25 sept. 2010 à 14:08, Thomas Roessler a écrit :
> There are two questions, then:
>
> - What's the accountability for Web applications that engage these sorts of steps?  What can user agents do to make these things more transparent?
>
> - What can browsers do to put effective anti-tracking technology in users' hands?  The private browsing modes are a step in the right direction, as is the torbutton plugin (which combines UI for state isolation and IP anonymization through Tor).

There is a missing 3rd questions (or maybe 1st).
How standards cater for Marketing techniques, advertising and profiling techniques ?
The business of many Web sites is revolving around data mining and marketing profiling. That is the business reality.
Now, we can try to say that's not good (I personally hate it) but we can also acknowledge what is needed from the business.

Then once the tools have been developed, it is easier to create systems that help people block, delete, manage their opacity[1] (aka delete this and not that, etc.).

[1]: http://www.w3.org/2010/api-privacy-ws/papers/privacy-ws-3

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada