Re: Evercookie: Indestructible cookies

On 25 Sep 2010, at 17:03, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:

> Maybe the "private browsing" modes of user agents should address some of these, e.g. by clearing DNS caches, or perhaps selectively obscuring the availability certain fonts, etc.
>
> Yes, it's an arms race, but that seems to be a business that "private browsing" is already in?

In designing the Web into an application platform, we've added more and more client capabilities and client state — that includes "innocuous" capabilities like HTTP caching or offline web applications, and it includes more deliberately Webapp-controlled state like cookies, local storage, and whatever Flash and Silverlight have to add to that mix.  It has been going on for about fifteen years.  We're now collectively waking up to the fact that this client side state can be used by web applications to track visitors — which is, of course, possible anyway for the large majority of all web users who never touch their browsers' default cookie settings.

But still — there's a case to be made that using flash cookies and similar techniques to "get around" somebody disabling cookies is indeed a violation of privacy.  After all, that person has taken active steps to not be tracked, and (some) web sites are actively violating that choice.  That's bad.

There are two questions, then:

- What's the accountability for Web applications that engage these sorts of steps?  What can user agents do to make these things more transparent?

- What can browsers do to put effective anti-tracking technology in users' hands?  The private browsing modes are a step in the right direction, as is the torbutton plugin (which combines UI for state isolation and IP anonymization through Tor).