Re: Potential new issue: PSVI considered harmful

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 03:41:43 -0400
To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 04:27:34PM -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> Should Web architecture reply on explicit values provided directly in
> messages, or rely on outside mechanisms which provide defaults?

If I can take a stab at answering that one indirectly ...

IMO, it is a bad thing for the meaning of a message (request or
response) in a Web architecture friendly protocol, to depend on some
information outside the message (like defaults).

This is an issue for all protocols, but is especially important for XML
protocols, due to XML-isms like external entities and the PSVI.

MB