httpRange proposed text

+1

I would recommend not mentioning HTTP at all.  I *would* recommend
adding three sentences regarding URIs in general:

"If two people independently use the same URI as an identifier, they
should be able to have a reasonable degree of confidence that they are
identifying the same resource.

People should not be required to parse, dereference, or otherwise
acquire any *additional* disambiguating information to provide this
basic guarantee.

Resource naming practices should be considered carefully, and people are
strongly discouraged from naming resources in a manner that
unnecessarily weakens this guarantee."