-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Berners-Lee [mailto:timbl@w3.org]

> The intent seems good, but how on earth do you build this confidence?
> By relying on the human-language semantics of the opaque part of the
> URI?

Absolutely not.  Joshua didn't mean that you knew what each URI meant by
just looking at it -- he meant (I think/hope!) that you know from the
architecture that the two occurrences of the URI will identify the same
thing, whatever that is.  There is no ambiguity built into the
architecture itself.  This is a core principle fo the Web which we seem
to be in danger of forgetting.