Re: [namespaceDocument-8] 14 Theses, take 2

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 10:51:07AM -0500, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> I don't find content negotiation useful in this case, if only for its
> lack of transparency.
>
> Try resolving:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema
>
> in both Mozilla and Microsoft Internet Explorer, and you can marvel at
> the difference.  I could have found the schema from Mozilla - as could a
> program - using the RDDL file sent to Internet Explorer, but instead
> it's just dropped on my head.
>
> Yecch.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here; if we relied on
current implementations (especially those mentioned!) as a metric of
a mechanism's usefulness, we'd have gotten stuck long before now.

Implementation of conneg in browsers is generally woeful; that
doesn't mean that conneg is useless in other situations (such as a
machine negotiating what representation it wants).

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/