RE: What is wrong with SVG?

Elliote,
This is exactly the approach used by PGML, which was a joint submission
from Adobe, IBM, Sun and Netscape in April 1998. I am well familiar with
the syntax you show below as I was one of the principal authors of PGML.

The SVG working group instead chose a path syntax more like VML, which was
a joint submission from Microsoft, Visio, Macromedia, HP and Autodesk in
May 1998. (VML ships with IE5.) The main reasons for adopting a path syntax
more like VML was file size and DOM size issues. The feedback we got from
web content creators that file size was a critical issue, and if file sizes
were too larger, SVG was a non-starter.

There has been lots of email disagreeing with the tradeoffs and decisions
made with SVG's path syntax. There were conflicting goals in making
decisions. The path data syntax in the current spec gives maximum
importance to file size compression as we decided that goal had very high
priority.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated