RE: visible attribute

Chris Lilley [mailto:chris@w3.org] wrote:

>Its not clear what you mean by "display fragment" but I assume that you
>mean to alter the value of the disply property to a value of "none" which
>is correct.

By display fragment, I meant a substring of the style that contained display:xxxx.
Sorry, I'm a newbie with CSS terminology.

>Since there already is a property called "visible", its not clear how what
>you are asking fro is significantly different (or less error prone) than
>the present situation.

I didn't dig into the DOM description sufficiently and was thinking
that you would have to parse the style attribute and replace or append
the "display:xxx" fragment by substring'ing and appending in Javascript.
However, it appears that you could do something like:

group.style.setProperty("display","none","important");

which would be satisfactory.  Thanks for your clarification on the difference between display and visible.