Re: [css3-selectors]: Proposal: Adop the ::wrap pseudo element

On 09/28/2016 10:29 AM, Ian Yang wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This letter to genuinely suggest that the ::wrap pseudo element be formally adopted. Please find its information in the
> following url address.
>
> https://wiki.csswg.org/ideas/pseudo-elements#complex-wrapping-of-selector-range
>
> There are too many use cases of description list (<dl>) nowadays. However, it has long been a headache of mine that there is
> no wrapper element for wrapping <dt> and <dd> pairs. Therefore I have had no choice but to resort to JavaScript to insert <li
> role="presentation"></li> into <dl>.

While I totally agree with you on this, I believe this is a bug in HTML and not
in CSS. The wrapper element is useful for much more than just styling: it allows
anchors to target the term-definition set, and JS to operate on it as a single
element.

(Also from a practical point of view, I get the impression from implementers that
it is much easier to implement parsing of a new HTML element than to implement a
new CSS pseudo-class that warps the element tree, so if one of your motivations
for trying to solve the problem in CSS instead of HTML is speed-to-market...
you're targetting the wrong place. ;)

~fantasai