RE: [css-scroll-snap] snap alignment container (concept name)

> On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 15:20:41, fantasai wrote:
>
> On 05/01/2016 10:40 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
> >
> >> On Apr 30, 2016, at 11:25 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> There's an issue marked in the spec for a better name for this
> >> concept:
> >>
> >> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-snappoints/#definitions
> >>   # snap alignment container
> >>   #    A scroll container's snap alignment container is the
> >>   #    rectangle obtained by reducing its visual viewport
> >>   #    by its scroll-snap-padding.
> >>   #
> >>   # ISSUE: Better name for this concept?
> >>
> >> I propose "scroll snap window", "snap window" for short!
> >> (I.e. use "snap window" but allow other specs to cross-link in to
> >> "scroll snap window" for better context.)
> >>
> >> Advantages:
> >>   * shorter and easy to pronounce
> >>   * relates to the concept of having a hole inside which we're
> >>     viewing stuff, which is what it is
> >>   * doesn't use the overloaded word "viewport"
> >>
> >> Disadvantages:
> >>   * ???

Window has a very well defined meaning and object representation in just about any platform including ours. I'd wouldn't like us to be in a position where we have to explain why the window object has no snap API to it ... :)

> > It's OK, but I prefer "snap-port" to imply the relationship to the viewport.
>
> I'm happy with "scroll snapport" as well.

Both window and viewport/port are pretty high level concepts IMO. Why can't we use "snap-box" since what we're actually doing is snapping boxes to other boxes.

Cheers,
Rossen