Re: [css-lists][html] <summary> and ::marker

On 04/27/2016 06:18 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> This does have the potential for compat problems - if <ol> numbering
> switches to being handled by a "counter-increment: list-item 1;" on
> <li> in the UA stylesheet, then it will be overridden by author-level
> 'counter-increment'.  I suspect the compat impact is *low*, but it's
> not zero.

True. Though even if someone is setting counters on <li>, they're
probably doing it in order to override the standard numbering and
have therefore turned off list-style numbers. :) I agree the compat
impact is likely quite low, though possibly non-zero.

> I'm also fine with just doing the second part (which should have
> *zero* impact) and leaving the counter-increment hack in HTML, tho
> that's obviously less good.

HTML needs extra counter magic to handle reversed list numbering
anyway. It's not counter-increment--that could be easily handled
in CSS--but counter-reset would need to be set in non-CSS UA code
for reversed lists.

~fantasai