Re: [css-flexbox] definite sizes & "width:auto" inside of a block

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Manuel Rego Casasnovas <rego@igalia.com> wrote:
> this reminds me a previous mail [1]. :-)
>
> On 31/03/16 21:50, Daniel Holbert wrote:
>> I think the flexbox spec's definition of "definite sizes" needs some
>> clarification.
>>
>> The definition is as follows:
>>   # ...a definite size is one that can be determined
>>   # without measuring content, i.e. is a <length>,
>>   # a size of the initial containing block, or a
>>   # <percentage> that is resolved against a definite
>>   # size.
>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#definite-sizes
>
> This definition was the same in the css-sizing spec
> (https://drafts.csswg.org/css-sizing/#definite),
> but it has been updated [2] to include:
> "or other formula that is resolved solely against definite sizes."
>
> Probably this change should be applied to flexbox spec too, or flexbox
> should point to css-sizing directly (like grid does).

Dang it, I had this answer typed up but saved it as a draft so I could
walk home before sending it, and you beat me to it. Curse your speedy
fingers!

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 03/31/2016 01:35 PM, Manuel Rego Casasnovas wrote:
>> This definition was the same in the css-sizing spec
>> (https://drafts.csswg.org/css-sizing/#definite),
>> but it has been updated [2] to include:
>> "or other formula that is resolved solely against definite sizes."
>
> Thanks -- the "or other formula" language seems to cover the
> width:auto-in-a-fixedwidth-block scenario that I'm asking about, I think.

Yes, it does.  (A meeting with Christian yesterday led to us logging
an issue to make that sentence a little clearer, too.)

>> Probably this change should be applied to flexbox spec too, or flexbox
>> should point to css-sizing directly (like grid does).
>
> Agreed. Tab/fantasai, could you do one of these things?
>
> (either synchronize the change over, or update...
>   https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox-1/#definite
> ...to reference this definition:
>   https://drafts.csswg.org/css-sizing/#definite
> )